About The Unofficial LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Inventor's Guide (from back cover)
The LEGO™ MINDSTORMS™ NXT set includes a variety of powerful electronic parts (motors, sensors, and the programmable NXT microcomputer) and lots of building elements. With these parts you can create thousands of unique, intelligent robots. The Unofficial LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Inventor's Guide helps you to harness the capabilities of the NXT set and effectively plan, build, and program your own NXT robots.
The first part of the book contains a brief introduction to the NXT set. You'll then examine the pieces in the NXT set and the roles they play in construction. Next, you'll learn practical building techniques, like how to build sturdy structures and work with gears. Then it's time to learn how to program with the official NXT-G programming language (and learn a bit about several unofficial programming languages). You'll also learn what author David J. Perdue calls the MINDSTORMS method: a strategy for creating your own robots. Finally, you'll follow step-by-step instructions for building, programming, and testing six sample robots (all of which can be built using only the parts found in one NXT set). These six robots include:
- Zippy-Bot, a two-wheeled vehicle with a ball caster
- Bumper-Bot, a version of Zippy-Bot that explores your room and avoids objects
- Claw-Bot, a version of Zippy-Bot that searches for objects and pushes them away with its claw
- Tag-Bot, a four-wheeled steering vehicle that dashes around while you try to "tag" it with a flashlight
- Guard-Bot, a six-legged walking robot that launches a ball at intruders
- Golf-Bot, a stationary robot that finds a target and then hits a ball into the target
You'll also find an NXT-G Quick Reference, which provides information on the 30 types of standard programming blocks, and the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Piece Library, which features detailed information and images of the more than 80 types of LEGO pieces in the NXT set.
So go ahead. Grab your NXT set, fire up your creative mind, and see what you can invent with The Unofficial LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Inventor's Guide.
Table of ContentsIntroduction
Part I: Introduction to LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT
1. LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT: People, Places, and Potential
2. Getting Started with the NXT Set
Part II: Building
3. Understanding the Electronic Pieces
4. Understanding the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Pieces
5. Building Sturdy Structures
6. Building with Gears
Part III: Programming
7. Introduction to NXT-G
8. Advanced NXT-G Programming
9. Unofficial Programming Languages for the NXT
Part IV: Projects
10. The MINDSTORMS Method
App A: LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Piece Library
App B: NXT-G Quick Reference
App C: Internet Resources
Click here if you'd like to read an excerpt from The Unofficial LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Inventor's Guide.